How does the Sparta Education Foundation work? We’re so glad you asked! We love to educate the community on who we are, what we do, and how we support stronger public education in Sparta, NJ. Check out our frequently asked questions to find out more!
Is the Sparta Education Foundation connected to the Board of Education or the Town Council?
No. The Sparta Education Foundation is an independent, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Our Board of Trustees is comprised entirely of volunteers who are committed to encouraging philanthropic support of our schools
What are the objectives of the Sparta Education Foundation?
The Sparta Education Foundation is focused on the following objectives:
- To encourage community and private sector relationships that serve the interests and needs of the Sparta Public Schools;
- To solicit ongoing charitable contributions of equipment and funds to benefit the Sparta Public Schools; and
- To initiate fundraising projects and events to benefit various programs and facilities of the Sparta Public Schools; and
- To serve as a catalyst for efforts to bring positive attention to the Sparta Public Schools.
How is the Sparta Education Foundation organized?
How does the Sparta Education Foundation raise money?
The Sparta Education Foundation raises money through appeals for charitable contributions from individuals, foundations and businesses as well as through various fundraising events and projects including the following:
- Cornament – Our first-ever Cornament (Cornhole Tournament) takes place on Sunday, June 6, at the Sparta VFW on Main Street.
- Alumni Walkway – Be Part of SHS Legagy! Honor a recent graduate or alumni by purchasing an engraved paver that will be part of the Alumni walkway at the Sparta High School. These make great graduation gifts or class reunion gifts. If you are a multigenerational alumni family, leave your legacy together! Order form.
- Krogh’s Turkey Trot – annual 5K and 1-mile Fun Run held on Thanksgiving morning
- Dragon Boat Festival – annual dragon boat races on Lake Mohawk in May
- Smile Amazon – Want an easy way to give back to Sparta Schools? Shop at smile.amazon.com and select Sparta Education Foundation.
To learn more about other ways to give to the Sparta Education Foundation, contact us.
How does the Sparta Education Foundation identify projects for funding?
The Sparta Education Foundation has representatives from each school who work with the faculty in their schools to identify needs. Although project ideas can come from any source, funding is awarded only after review of a proposal that meets the funding criteria set by the Sparta Education Foundation Board of Trustees.
What is the Sparta Education Foundation's process for funding projects for the schools?
The Sparta Education Foundation Board of Trustees reviews grant applications throughout the school year. Specific funding decisions are based on advancing the organization’s goals to support curriculum-based projects equitably across all schools within the district.
Trustees review applications based on the following criteria:
- Grants should have as broad an impact upon the educational needs of as many students as possible.
- Proposals should have the approval of both the school principal and the District’s Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum.
- Grants should support educational programs not currently funded via the normal district budget process.
- All proposals should contribute to the district’s overall mission.
- Grant requests for the following will not be considered:
- Personal development, including trips.
- Activities or programs already funded by PTOs, Booster Clubs, etc.
- Programs deemed too narrow in scope or impact
For more information on grants, visit our Grant Page.
In these economic times, why should I contribute to the Sparta Education Foundation?
Donors to the Sparta Education Foundation are investing in two of our community’s most important resources–our children and our public schools. Your gifts support curriculum-based enhancements that are not included in the annual school budget.